Tuesday, March 29, 2011

sleeping on the sidewalk

I had the brilliant idea of playing with sidewalk chalk down by the beach, but it doesn't seem to exist in Korea. I checked a couple of craft stores and asked my students if they'd ever heard of it, and they hadn't. I didn't give up.

Plaster is a cheap, easy way to make your own, so with the help of the art department at Neungdong Middle School, I ordered a bag.

It was 55 pounds. This seemed like a reasonable amount at the time, until it was delivered next to my desk and another English teacher had to enlist the help of a "very handsome PE teacher" to get it home for me. I have a feeling she was looking for a reason to talk to the very handsome PE teacher.
DSCF5798

When I got it home, I mixed the plaster with poster paint and used dixie cups as molds.
DSCF5801

Here is the finished chalk in a few colors.
DSCF5803

Pete and I took the chalk out on a cold, sunny day at the beach.
DSCF5826

We drew quite a crowd, and one fella asked me to draw him while he posed on the beach. It would look better if he was fighting something, so Pete drew a dinosaur.
DSCF5827

Lots of kids came up and played with us too. I think this will be more fun when the weather warms up.

No comments:

Post a Comment